Materials you’ll need:
- Yarn in your choice of colors.
- Crochet hook (size appropriate for your yarn, usually mentioned on the yarn label).
- Yarn needle.
Step 1: Make the Butterfly’s Body To create the butterfly’s body, follow these steps:
- Start with a slip knot. To make a slip knot, leave a tail of yarn and create a loop with the working yarn crossing over the tail.
- Insert your crochet hook through the loop and pull the working yarn through, creating a new loop on your hook.
- Chain 4. To make a chain, yarn over and pull it through the loop on your hook, then repeat three more times.
- Slip stitch into the first chain to form a ring. Insert your hook into the first chain, yarn over, and pull through both loops on the hook.
Step 2: Crochet the Butterfly Wings Now, let’s create the butterfly’s wings:
- Chain 5, then make a double crochet in the 5th chain from the hook. To make a double crochet, yarn over, insert your hook into the 5th chain, yarn over again, pull through, yarn over and pull through the first two loops on the hook, then yarn over and pull through the remaining two loops.
- Chain 2, and make another double crochet in the same chain.
- Chain 1, and slip stitch into the same chain.
- To create the second wing, chain 1, make a double crochet in the same chain where you made the first wing, chain 2, and make another double crochet in the same chain.
- Chain 5 and slip stitch into the center ring to secure the second wing.
- Fasten off and cut the yarn, leaving a tail for weaving in the ends.
Step 3: Finishing Touches To complete your butterfly, weave in any loose ends using a yarn needle. You can also add small beads or buttons for the butterfly’s eyes, and attach a piece of yarn or thread to hang it up if desired.