Creating a simple and easy crochet baby blanket is a wonderful project for beginners. Here’s a basic pattern for a straightforward baby blanket. For this pattern, we’ll use a basic stitch called the single crochet.
- Worsted weight yarn (baby-friendly and machine washable)
- Crochet hook appropriate for your yarn (size H/5mm is commonly used for worsted weight yarn)
- Yarn needle for weaving in ends
Step 1: Chain
- Start by making a foundation chain. For a baby blanket, a width of around 30-36 inches is a good size. You can adjust the width by chaining more or fewer stitches.
- Chain the desired number of stitches. Remember that your blanket will shrink a bit in width after you start working rows.
Step 2: Single Crochet Row
- In the second chain from the hook, insert your hook and pull up a loop.
- Yarn over and pull through both loops on the hook. This is a single crochet.
- Continue making single crochets in each chain across the row.
- When you reach the end of the row, chain one and turn your work.